Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wow..6 months have passed huh?

OK...so yeah...the gym and me...I think we're thru. Yes we paid for an entire year and maybe used 2 months...and then Hell struck and we didn't go for 3 months...and then we go back one evening around Thanksgiving and it seems everyone is shocked for us to be back...then the holidays and the rush of people for new years resolutions...we were gonna go back last week and one afternoon after work, we even got to our pre-workout Subway meal...and then and there decided...we were done...with the gym. It's too much to walk back into. It's too far out of our way. It's just too much.

This, by no means means we are giving up on losing weight and/or getting healthy again. We are doing a work out routine at home right now and getting our Gazelle out of the closet and getting back on Wii Fit and all that jazz. We still have our gym bags in the car for the off the wall chance we feel the need to go back and hit the gym before our membership is up. But I think if we go back to a gym, we're going to hit one that is more convenient for us. We loved the Dome...the people were awesome and the trainers were nice and we never really had a problem with anyone there. It's just on the SOUTH end of College Station and we live on the NORTH edge of Bryan and the county. I feel I have a better understanding from my time with a trainer of what machines to use and how to do my workouts if and when I step foot back in a gym.

I am not happy at my size and yes it's probably holding me back from getting pregnant again. We are working on this. We will get there. We are back on portion control and I feel it working. We are going to a new doc starting this next month and I feel confident we can make something happen. Confidence is key and so is healthy living. :) I'll try to continue to keep track of my progress on here and see how that goes... :)

Till later...or if you have suggestions or ideas...please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. From my experience in college, working for the college, getting ready for the Marines, and maintaining myself in the Marines, I have a few thoughts.

    1) Routine is the most important factor. You have to find times and days when you can tell anything else that might interfere to fuck off, and then you have to exercise at that time. Even if you feel like crap, you have to put in a token effort. If you let yourself think you can take off a day because you felt like crap from work, it becomes an available excuse.

    2) Convenience is a close second in importance. This is why running/jogging near your home, and doing simple strength training that doesn't require a gym works so well: you don't have to go anywhere special, you're already there.

    3) That said, losing weight quickly and keeping it off requires a major lifestyle change. Not to the point of joining the military ;-) But, without knowing all your nitty gritty details, I'd say walking/jogging 5 or 6 times a week, and strength training 3 or 4 times a week would be a way to go. Strength training is more convenient in a gym (for squats, pull-downs, etc.), but it's possible in the home as well (flutter kicks, push-ups, crunches, all sorts of other crazy stuff). Switching to raw food also helps - your portions are generally smaller, and you generally eat the healthier stuff that you need to build muscle and provide energy. Of course there's the "weird" factor about eating a couple pieces of bread, half a tomato, a banana, and 3 or 4 tablespoons of cottage cheese...but it's an aspect of the weight loss process you can discard later.

    Good luck, Audrey, to you and Mike both :)

    jeff bachtel

    ReplyDelete